Sunday, November 20, 2011

Grants, Papers...OMG I need a real JOB

Well I've been a postdoc for 11 months and 20 days.....

My first paper has been officially accepted and is in print.

I spent a couple of days this month recruiting for my institution as an alum/postdoc at a national conference, where I also served as a judge (I also won a travel award). I like the recruiting aspect and could see myself doing it as a job, except for when the airline looses a piece of luggage.

My F32 was reviewed this week and went unscored, ouch. Am I upset, no because I knew it wouldn't stand a chance in the study section they assigned it to (which I didn't request). It was doomed from day one. Oh well maybe it was a good thing, now I won't be stuck in research with a grant and won't feel bad when I have to leave for a real job in a year (keeping my fingers crossed). I'm taking this as a sign that I really need to focus on what kind of a career I want and work towards it.

My two undergrads are getting ready to give their end of semester presentations. I have a new student coming for from France for Spring 2012.

My Ph.D lab is basically bankrupt and my advisor is desperate so he really wants to publish a part of my thesis (which he has turned into a lab effort). He also is making this a huge focus of his R01. If memory serves me right this was a project he had no interest in for years and I labored (without his knowledge) over it. Look whose still keeping this lab afloat even a year after she left? 
One thing I heard through the grape vine is how suddenly the author list has grown. I've made myself clear that I won't take anything less than second author or co-first author (I left the project to a postdoc whom I had asked to help me with it). And if there are any difficulties I just have to remind them that I copyrighted this project and all other work in my dissertation. 

I think I've made my first industry contact with a research and development rep from a big company. I need to nurture this because I'll be looking for a job soon.

Well that's all for now folks......

No comments:

Post a Comment