Monday, March 28, 2011

Pros and Cons of a Small Lab

First I'll start off by saying I'm still alive!!!!!!!!!
So I've been a postdoc for 3 months and 28 days in a small lab with a PI whose main goal is to produce quality work and publish. How does this compare with being a graduate student from August 2003 to November 2010 in a medium sized lab with a PI who could care less about the work being done?
1. I already have a draft for a manuscript ready on work I've initiated and done since I began.
2. I'm already going to two conferences and presenting at one.
3. I've made connections with people who will be able to help me with my career goals.
4. I've been acknowledge and somewhat rewarded for my leadership and organizational capabilities.


Pros
1. The work done means something and will be used
2. 90% of the time you'll be an author on a paper
3. If you have a good mentor you can be directed in the right path early on and have more one on one (which maybe a good thing or a bad thing).
4. It's easy to see whose not puling their weight.


Cons
1. Some members can be very possessive of the work and not let anyone else help. Case and point our RO1 is up for competitive renewal and it so happens that the senior most post doc has done most of the work. But he's hoarding the results, so the PI doesn't know what has been done, what needs to be redone or what else needs to be done. I told her that this is very dangerous and if they keep arguing back and forth before long the deadline will be upon us and grant still isn't ready.
2. PIs can be a little bit too involved, wanting to actually be at the bench (which is not necessarily a good thing).
3. everyone is responsible for the same things, which leads to nothing but chaos.


I'm still trying to get stuff out from my old lab but my old advisor is not very responsive. I can do nothing but try and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment